Monday, November 12, 2012

Berwick, Maine

 
 
Having been born and raised in the smallish rural town of North Berwick, ME I try and park close by whenever we are up that way. Right on the eastern border of Berwick, ME - right next to North Berwick - is a nice family owned and operated CG named Beaver Dam Campground.

http://beaverdamcampground.com/

The CG is well off the rural road and secluded from the public. It offers most all of the expected amenities along with a friendly and helpful staff to make your stay as comfortable as possible. All size rigs are welcome and most will fit in the waterfront lots if desired. We like to stay atop a small knoll where we can get reception for our dish TV. From this CG it’s just a short drive over to Dover, NH or Sanford, ME where there are such stores as the travelers - find all store - Super Walmarts. Another short drive will put you in the outlet malls at Kittery, ME on US-1.

http://www.thekitteryoutlets.com/

My favorite beach as a youngster was Wells Beach. And, of course, it’s located in the town of Wells Beach. And, you will have to drive through Wells, ME to get there. On the way out you will pass Billy’s Chowder House. It’s the original and comes highly recommended from yours truly.

http://www.billyschowderhouse.com/

Just a few more miles north on US-1 and you will find the popular Kennebunkport, ME where the tourists flock to get a glimpse at the President Bush sea front summer retreat.

After WWII my father built lobster boats in our barn. They were launched at Kennebunkport. The fishing village atmosphere is almost completely gone.

In 1947 my father decided he wanted to learn how to fly. I was his first passenger. My uncle Hermann was supposed to go but he was a no-show. We flew from South Portland to Kittery and back. It was my first aerial view of costal Maine. I can still recall most of the coast line from that first flight.

Everyone that does some serious RVing should try and write a little bit about their travels. The memories it triggers may awe you.

When driving over to Kittery, the rural roads will lead you through the other Berwick. South Berwick is actually the town I was born in. There was a maternity clinic there and my mother did not want to have me at home so she got someone to drive her over there. Of course, I’ve never lived there but it is my birth place. Anyhow, back to the drive to Kittery. We passed this old farm that was clearly littered with all sorts of keepsakes that must have to be put out and taken in with the seasons. I think you will agree it’s a one of a kind when it comes to yard decorations.

http://www.kennebunkportme.gov/Public_Documents/index

Along with the pictures from the CG I’m going to put a scattering of pictures from some of the places described above. They should be recognizable from some of the area descriptions. All pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them and all of the links are active.

The FastEagles
  Cal & Linda

1 comment:

  1. Blogging is an excellent way to make money online, I signed up with an excellent website and now work from home blogging for them. I also write articles.Southern California RV Parks

    ReplyDelete